Can I Get a Second Opinion on My Personal Injury Case? Boston Injury Lawyer Explains Your Rights
You always have the right to seek a second opinion for your Massachusetts injury case. As with many important decisions in life, second opinions can help provide you with more information about how to proceed forward.Knowledge is power.
If you were to get bad news at the doctors office, for example, you’d likely seek out a second medical opinion. If you are unsure about a recommended treatment plan or medical procedure, getting a second opinion is highly recommended and even expected.
It shouldn't be any different with a personal injury lawyer. Ideally, it’s best to get a second opinion on your case prior to officially hiring an injury lawyer, but it can still be worthwhile to get a second opinion even if you’ve already hired an attorney.
Reasons to Get a Second Opinion on Your Injury Case
At the end of the day, the most important takeaway is this: you always have the right to seek out a second opinion. You may not even have a specific reason for seeking out another injury attorney’s advice, and that’s OK. It’s never a bad idea to have more information.
If you’ve already hired an injury attorney and there are any specific concerns you have about your lawyer or how your case is being handled, we suggest having a conversation with your lawyer about your concerns. If you’re not satisfied with the outcome of that conversation, we recommend seeking a second opinion.
There certainly are some instances, however, where we would recommend getting a second opinion:
- If you have a feeling your current injury lawyer is undervaluing your case, you can seek a second opinion to make sure you’re not short changing yourself.
- If something - anything - just doesn't feel right, get a second opinion. On a related note, maybe there is even something about the attorney that makes you feel uncomfortable. It’s important for you to feel you can trust your attorney with your case, so if you feel uncomfortable or if something doesn't feel right, seek a second opinion.
- If you simply want the peace of mind that your injury case is being handled appropriately, a second opinion may help confirm that.
- If you’re having communication issues - such as your lawyer not returning your calls or emails - it could be a warning sign that they’re not a good fit for your injury case.
- If your lawyer is pressuring you to accept a settlement offer that seems low, it’s worth getting a second opinion to see if your settlement offer is fair.
- If your attorney says you don’t have a case - seek a second opinion.
- If you’ve had any form of breakdown with your current attorney - whether an issue of trust or otherwise - we suggest you seek a second opinion.
How do I get a Second Opinion on My Boston Injury Case?
The process of getting a second opinion on your injury case is very similar to the process you went through to find your current attorney (or prospective attorney). You'll need to do a bit of research - we recommend looking for an injury attorney with great reviews, ratings, and one that has case results and testimonials on their website. This will help you get an idea for how the attorney handles cases and how they treat their clients.
Free Second Opinions: Spada Law Group’s Injury Attorneys Offer Free Consultations for Massachusetts’ Injury Cases
If you reach out to our skilled injury firm for a second opinion on your case, the first thing we’ll discuss with you is why you’re seeking a second opinion. This will help us better understand how we can best serve you. Maybe you’re worried about a low settlement offer, or perhaps your lawyers qualifications appear to be less than what you expected. Or maybe you just want confirmation that your attorney is doing the right things to get you the best possible outcome.
Our goal when you come to Spada Law Group for a second opinion on your injury case will be to evaluate the case and offer our opinion on its value.
We’re not in the business of trying to “steal” cases from competent lawyers. If we believe that your lawyer is handling your case appropriately, effectively, and is getting you a good result - we’ll let you know! If there are any concerns we have, however, we’ll also let you know. We’ll be sure to give you an honest opinion on your situation.Honesty is what everyone deserves from their lawyer.