Our client was a toddler who was visiting Boston with her parents during the summer months. The child was walking barefoot without incident in the Faneuil Hall Market Place when she stepped on a manhole cover.
The cover was extremely overheated due to a steam malfunction below ground. The child’s feet were severely burned as a result and she required medical attention. She made a full recovery.
We discovered that the private company charged to provide steam to local businesses did not properly maintain their equipment which caused the malfunction and subsequent overheating of the manhole cover. Remedial measures were subsequently implemented as a result of our lawsuit which will hopefully prevent such a tragedy from occurring in the future.